Twenty-nine people died after a two-storey restaurant in northern China collapsed during an 80th birthday gathering on Saturday morning (Aug 29), state media said. Rescuers pulling dozens of survivors from the rubble and searched for others believed to be trapped. A total of 57 people have been pulled from the debris so far. Seven people are seriously hurt, but not life-threatening.
The two-storey building in Xiangfen county, Shanxi province, 630 km southwest of Beijing, came down on Saturday morning during the birthday party celebrations, according to official news agency Xinhua.
Rescuers in orange overalls and hard hats combed the crumbled ruin. Seven hundred people were involved in the rescue operation.
State broadcaster CGTN said the rescue operation ended in the early hours of Sunday morning.
The cause of the collapse is unknown and the central government’s State Council said it would supervise an investigation by provincial authorities.
While the cause of the disaster was not immediately clear, China is no stranger to building collapses and deadly construction accidents.