An article by Caitlin Fitzsimons in the Sydney Morning Herald highlights the problems being encountered with lithium batteries in Australia.
Consumer advocates have called for stronger safety regulations for lithium-ion batteries after a house fire was thought to be caused by an e-bike battery.
The risk of fires from faulty lithium-ion batteries is increasing because they are used in an increasing number of consumer electronics, from mobile phones and laptops to home battery systems and electric cars. Battery faults are rare, but the consequences can be severe, especially with bigger batteries.
A spokesperson for the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) said states and territories were mainly responsible for electrical safety but their regulatory frameworks needed improvement.
“The ACCC has recommended state and territory electrical safety regimes be updated to have more consistent and complete coverage of batteries and other extra-low voltage electrical products,” the spokesperson said
Chris Barnes, the household product expert at Choice, said the safety regulations for rechargeable batteries were a “bit of a mishmash” and mostly focused on the electrical safety of the charger.