Eleven foreign workers are dead after a landslide at a construction site in north-west Malaysia on Saturday 22nd Oct, authorities say. The landslide occurred at a site where two 49-storey condominium towers are being built. Earlier estimates had put the death toll at 14 at the George Town site, but three workers had managed to escape, said Ervin Galen Teruki, Fire and Rescue Department deputy operations head in the Penang state.
Fire officials earlier identified the victims as workers from Indonesia, Bangladesh, Myanmar and Pakistan. A canine unit with three dogs searched for victims during the rescue operations.
The construction site supervisor, a Malaysian, remains missing. The cause has yet to be determined.
Firefighters are still looking for missing workers.
A stop-work order had been issued for the development, pending investigations, according to the Penang Island city council Mayor Maimunah Mohammad Sharif.
Several residential and commercial towers are still under construction in the area.
Local media reported anger among residents and activists, some of who said they had previously protested the increasing development of hillslopes around the area.