Fire in Australian section of the Rio Olympic Village
In what is a non-smoking area of the Olympic village a fire thought to be started by a discarded cigarette has caused the evacuation of the Australian Olympic team.
It was an early wake up for the team when the alarm was sounded at 4.40am local time. The 100 athletes were woken by officials going door-to-door.
Australian chef de mission Kitty Chiller said she was unhappy that workers and contractors continue to smoke in the village where work continues and piles of rubble and rubbish remain.
It was also reported that the sprinkler and alarm systems had been turned off for maintenance.
The fire was extinguished by the Fire Brigade and team members were allowed back into the building.