The risk for battery fires: Battery fires can create extinguishing challenges for all extinguisher types. Due to outgassing prior to and during ignition of the batteries, re-flash is a potential hazard. Stat-X aerosol operates at a low pressure and remains in the environment to provide ongoing protection. The Stat-X aerosol remains buoyant and allows for uncloseable opening(s), whereas in high-pressure gas systems the gas will exit rapidly.
The solution: Stat-X® condensed aerosol fire suppression is a solution for energy storage systems (ESS) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) applications. This includes in-building, containerized, and in-cabinet applications.
Stat-X highly-advanced fire suppression technology offers the lightest, most compact, and economical fire extinguishing solution available. The Stat-X generator is an extremely rugged, hermetically sealed, stainless steel canister containing a stable, solid compound. In the event of a fire, Stat-X units automatically release ultra-fine particles and propellant inert gasses which effectively extinguish fires using less mass of agent than any other conventional extinguishing system.
There are many applications for Stat-X fixed systems in several industries including energy storage and energy supply. In these industries, there is the hazard of lithium-ion batteries, an extremely difficult fire to extinguish and control with several issues.
- Lithium batteries burn in an unusual manner
- Risk of explosion through exposure to heat or short-circuits in the batteries
- High risk of ignition associated with the electrolyte released through exposure to heat
- The residues left after combustion can cause powerful reactions or may be toxic
- Rising combustion gases ignite the goods stored at higher levels
- Only minutes are required for fire penetration right up to the underside of the ceiling
- Smoke and soot contaminate other goods stored in the vicinity
- Restricted access for firefighting due to the height and density of the stored goods
- In addition to the undesirable disruption to operations, a fire often results in a total write-off and environmental damage
- Maintaining delivery capability and goods availability without interruptions
- Prevention of dynamic fire propagation through the ignition of the closely packed, neighbouring batteries
- No damage to the goods and systems by fire, soot, or the water used to put out the fire
- Permanent fire safety without restricting staff movements, use of the building, or influencing the goods, the flow of goods and the warehouse equipment
Advantages of Stat-X aerosol systems for lithium-ion battery hazards
- The hazard area does not have to be airtight. Calculations allow for un closeable openings.
- Residual Stat-X aerosol in hazard area after discharge prevents re-flash typical with lithium-ion battery fires.
- Stat-X systems are bracket mounted within the hazard on the ceiling or walls taking no valuable floor space within the hazard
- There is no manifold or piping required reducing installation labour and material costs
- There is no cylinder weighing or hydro-static testing required.
- Ten (10) year service life
To learn more about the Stat-X suppression solution for energy storage systems and battery storage systems, talk to your local Kidde Australia representative today.
For more information please visit: www.kidde.com.au