The annual fireworks display at the Fred’s Pass rural community show near Darwin in the northern territory of Australia became a disaster zone when the annual fireworks display malfunctioned.
One person was hospitalised, and three children treated for burns. The person transferred to a hospital was a pyrotechnics worker. It appears that the fireworks exploded at a lower than expected altitude causing debris to fly out of the exclusion zone.
Show communications manager John McNeur said. “It would appear that there was a partial failure in one of the uplift charges, and accordingly, the fireworks discharged at a lower than anticipated height.”
Mr McNeur said the safety of patrons and staff was “paramount”, and the incident would not affect the show, which continues today.
NT WorkSafe is investigating the incident.
Further details were reported by ABC News at ABC News Australia
Image for Illustration Purposes