In Sydney alone 3,000 people have been evacuated in the area worst hit by flooding, and there are fears up 54,000 more could be affected.
Emergency Management Minister David Littleproud warned of a ‘potentially very dangerous situation’ in the worst-hit areas near the Hawkesbury and Nepean rivers in Sydney’s west.
Thousands in Western Sydney were in limbo overnight, many evacuated and others on standby as authorities warned rivers were continuing to rise and were expected to break flood records.
The Hawkesbury and Nepean rivers remain of greatest concern to authorities, with water levels reaching heights not seen since 1961.
9News has been told the Hawkesbury River will peak at 13m in height today, the tide rising as uprooted trees, trunks and debris slam into pedestrian rails.
It was only last year the new bridge was opened, replacing the one that was built back in 1874.
More than 4,000 people have been urged to evacuate from surrounding regions, as Warragamba Dam continues to spill over this morning.
‘Major flooding is occurring along the Hawkesbury River at North Richmond where the river level is rising. Flooding is likely to be higher than any floods since November 1961,’ the NSW SES said.
The Bureau of Meteorology warned last night, (21 March) that more drenching weather was on the way.
‘While major flooding is occurring in Sydney’s west, it’s also important to be aware this is a large and widespread event,’ the bureau said on Twitter.
‘Western NSW will see increased rain from Monday and many areas will see more rain on Tuesday.’
Hawkesbury residents have been warned the flooding in the area could eclipse the 1961 disaster, with a prediction the river could reach 15.6m by this afternoon and continue to rise.
For more information, please visit: www.msn.com/en-au/news/sydney/thousands-could-be-evacuated-as-sydney-braces-for-record-breaking-flood/ar-BB1eO1vO?ocid=msedgntp