China Southern Airlines flight CZ3539 from Guangzhou to Shanghai on Sunday (Feb 25) was delayed for three hours when a Lithium-ion battery caught fire in a luggage compartment as the plane was boarding.
The fire was put out with the help of the fire and security staff and did not cause further damage, the airline said in a post. The passenger who owned the bag was taken to assist the police in investigations, and preliminary investigations show that the power bank was not in use when it caught fire, the airline added.
A replacement aircraft was deployed, and it eventually left Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport for Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport at 2.53pm China time – almost three hours after the scheduled departure time, based on data from live flight tracking site FlightAware.
Lithium-ion batteries, which are used in electronic devices such as mobile phone, laptops and power banks, are banned as cargo on passenger aircraft but are usually allowed on as hand luggage.
The shocking footage has gone viral on social media, raking thousands of retweets and likes on Twitter.
Image shows the fire which occurred during boarding being extinguished.