Last week’s super Typhon Maysak will take years to recover from.
The category five Typhon system tore through the Federated States of Micronesia this week, killing 5 people, destroying infrastructure, contaminating water supplies and displacing about 7,000 people.
The head of the Red Cross in Federated States of Micronesia says the country is dealing with a major humanitarian emergency as the country tries to cope with the aftermath of the super typhoon. The Executive Director of the Red Cross in Micronesia Isao Frank said the damage was extensive and some islands in Chuuk and Yap were inaccessible. There was a shortage of shelter, food, water and medicine in the worst-affected areas, and the humanitarian response was likely to be a significant logistical challenge.
Government patrol boats continued to distribute relief supplies on Saturday, but the Red Cross said the emergency was far beyond the country’s capacity.
In Yap, the atolls of Fais, Ulithi and Faraulep sustained a direct hit from the typhoon at its full strength, with winds of well over 200 kilometres an hour. The state’s lieutenant governor, James Yangetmai, said assessment flights had revealed massive destruction.
The FSM President, Manny Mori, has requested international assistance from the United Nations and the government was hoping to receive significant assistance from the United States under the Compact of Free Association between the two countries.
For more information please visit http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-05/ex-typhoon-maysak-weakens-as-it-crosses-philippines-coast/6371504