The death toll has risen to 17 after nine more people were confirmed dead in a collapsed budget hotel in eastern China. The Siji Kaiyuan Hotel was three storeys high and had 54 rooms.
On Wednesday (July 14) state media announced the end of search and recovery efforts at the site.
Six were earlier rescued from the rubble of the Hotel, which crumbled in a heap of shattered concrete and bent metal beams in the picturesque city of Suzhou on Monday.
One of those freed was uninjured and five others were sent to a hospital for treatment.
The city of Suzhou said on its social media feed that 23 people in total had been pulled from the rubble of the hotel but not all of them survived.
More than 600 people, including earthquake rescue teams and 120 vehicles, were mobilised for the operation.
The city’s social media said investigators would look into the cause of the collapse and police had subpoenaed the hotel’s legal representatives, managers and those who worked on the design and construction of the building.
Building collapses and accidents are not uncommon in China and are often blamed on lax construction standards or corruption.
The collapse of a quarantine hotel in southern China’s Quanzhou city last March killed 29 people, with authorities later finding three floors had been added illegally to the building’s original four-storey structure.
For more information, please visit: www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-14/china-hotel-collapse-search-ends-death-toll/100294260