The 300m SEG Plaza in the southern city of Shenzhen, near Hong Kong, began swaying in the early afternoon on Tuesday, 18 May, prompting people inside and those on the streets below to flee.
Emergency-management officials quickly ruled out an earthquake as the cause of the wobble in the tech hub’s Futian district.
Officials said that engineers monitoring the building since Tuesday night had not found movements larger than the building code limit for skyscrapers.
Experts found ‘no safety abnormalities in the main structure and surrounding environment of the building,’ the local government said in a statement.
The building had stopped shaking by the time people were evacuated, state media reported, and the plaza remained sealed off.
Video footage published by local media Jimu News appeared to show some vendors returning to pick up stock from the electronics mall on the lower levels of the building by Wednesday, while higher storeys remained closed off and shoppers were blocked from entering.
Completed in 2000, the tower is home to a major electronics market as well as various offices in the central business district of Shenzhen, a sprawling metropolis of more than 13 million people
Chinese authorities last year banned the construction of skyscrapers taller than 500m, adding to height restrictions already enforced in some other cities such as Beijing.
Building collapses are not rare in China, where lax construction standards and breakneck urbanisation over recent decades have led to buildings being thrown up in haste.
For more information, please visit: www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-20/seg-plaza-china-inspected-engineers-shaking-evacuation-shenzhen/100151134