A fire that broke out in a two-story shop/house in Malaysia on Tuesday (11th Dec.) killed six people, was caused by a fireworks explosion, according to local authorities. The shop was located in an industrial area known as Puncak Jelapang Maju in Ipoh.
Those who died, including the owner of the business, they had traces of sulphur and fireworks residue on their bodies, Perak CID chief Senior Asst Comm Yahya Abd Rahman said.
“A full report is expected to be received soon,” he told reporters at a press conference at Raja Permaisuri Bainun hospital on Wednesday (12th Dec).
The owner was named as P Thiagarajun, 40, authorities confirmed. The other five who died were all teenagers who had worked for him on a part-time basis. Four of them were students who had just started working.
They were buried in the same plot on Wednesday evening in a ceremony attended by more than 300 family members and residents.
“The four students were on their first day at work yesterday. They were trying to earn some pocket money during the school holidays, but the tragedy occurred, it’s very unfortunate,” Yahaya said.
Since the business had no licence for explosives, the residues found by authorities at the scene indicated that there had been criminal negligence and misconduct, he added.
Image for illustration purposes.